Onions Health Benefits
The onion is the richest dietary source of quercitin, a potent antioxidant flavonoid (also in shallots, yellow and red onions only but not in white onions), which is found on and near the skin and is particularly linked to the health benefits of onions.
Quercitin has been shown to thin the blood, lower cholesterol, raise good-type HDL cholesterol, ward off blood clots, fight asthma, chronic bronchitis, hay fever, diabetes, atherosclerosis and infections and is specifically linked to inhibiting human stomach cancer.
It's also an anti-inflammatory, antibiotic, antiviral, thought to have diverse anti-cancer powers. Quercitin is also a sedative. So far, there is no better food source of quercitin than onion skins.
* Onions have also been shown to have a significant blood sugar-lowering action
* Onions contain a variety of organic sulfur compounds that provide health benefits.
* These specific amino acids are called methionine and cystine and, among other things, they are very good at detoxifying your body from heavy metals.
* Vitamin C, also contained in onions, is excellent at detoxifying the body and is effective in removing lead, arsenic and cadmium.
* Onions have historically been used to treat asthma
* Onions have potent antibacterial activity, destroying many disease-causing pathogens, including E. coli and salmonella.
* An onion extract was found to destroy tumor cells in test tubes and to arrest tumor growth when tumor cells were implanted in rats.
* The onion extract was shown to be unusually nontoxic,
* All onions and onion relatives (garlic, leeks, chives and scallions, or spring onions) are rich in organosulfur compounds shown to help prevent cancer in lab animals.
* Shallots have been shown to exhibit significant activity against leukemia in mice.
Ancient records reveal that onions have been used as far back as 4000 B.C. as a cure-all for many illnesses. In WW II, the vapors of onion paste was used to reduce the pain and accelerated the healing of soldiers' wounds.
Even now, we find many medicinal properties from this dynamite bulb:
Anemia: The high content of iron in onion makes it beneficial for the treatment of anemia.
Anti-coagulant: Just by eating half a medium raw onion daily can significantly lower cholesterol and help prevent heart attacks.
Anti-inflammatory: The anti-inflammatory agents in onion are useful in reducing the symptoms of inflammatory conditions such as arthritis and gout.
Anti-septic: Fights infection bacteria, including E.coli and salmonella, and is effective against tuberculosis and infections of the urinary tract, such as cystitis.
Blood pressure: Whether you eat it raw or cooked, onions help to lower blood pressure naturally. It also thins the blood, dissolve blood clots and clear the blood of unhealthy fats.
Cholesterol: Eating half a medium raw onion daily significantly helps to correct thrombosis, lower the LDL cholesterol and prevents heart attacks.
Colon cancer, prevention: Fructo-oligosaccharides in onions stimulate the growth of good bacteria in the colon and help reduce the risk of tumors developing in the colon.
Constipation and flatulence: Add plenty onion in your cooking to help relieve chronic constipation and flatulence.
Diabetes: Chromium in onion helps diabetics' cells respond appropriately to bringing down the insulin level and improve glucose tolerance.
Diuretic and blood cleansing: Help counter fluid retention, urinary gravel, arthritis and gout.
Ear disorder: In some culture, cotton wool is dipped into onion juice and put into the ear to stop ringing in the ear.
Hair loss: A study has shown that applying onion juice on scalp twice a week for 2 months will cause hair regrowth. Definitely cost much less that those hair tonic.
Immune booster: The pungency increases blood circulation and causes sweating. Useful in cold weather to ward off infection, reduce fever and sweat out colds and flu.
Osteoporosis: A compound has recently been identified in onions that prevents the activities of breaking down bone. Especially beneficial for women who are at risk for osteoporosis as they go through menopause.
Respiratory: Mix equal amounts of onion juice and honey and take 3-4 teaspoons of this mixture daily. It helps liquefy mucus and prevents its further formation. It is also one of the best preventive potion against common cold.
Sexual debility: Onion is a potent aphrodisiac and stands second only to garlic. For this, the white variety is most effective.
Urinary tract infection: Boil some onion in water till half of the water evaporated. Sieve the onion water, leave to cool and drink. The anti-bacterial properties help to relieve the burning sensation in urination.